The web-start.org virus, is a new browser hijacker that breaks in our computers without asking for our permission. It’s a program that replaces your default homepage and default search engine not allowing you to use any other website for those purposes. web-start.org is a site that was conceived to increase the amounts of visits of certain websites, by inserting them in search result pages or redirecting your browsing toward them even if you’re trying to visit something completely different. In consequence, this malicious program can easily take you towards dangerous websites, which is why you must remove it at once.
web-start.org can affect either Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari and some less popular web browsers. At first sight it looks like any other legitimate search engine, however its goals are quite different. web-start.org tries to lure you into visiting websites that might offer a lot of unwanted programs to download including spyware.
This browser hijacker will stop you from manually changing back your settings. Even if you somehow manage to change your homepage it might stay for a while, but eventually web-start.org will be back. The following guide will help you automatically remove web-start.org and effectively get back your own settings for any affected web browser.
How to remove web-start.org ?
Remove web-start.org with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a light-weight anti-malware program that is excellent at removing the latest detections.
- Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.
Premium Version Free Version (without Real-time protection)
- Install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware using the installation wizard.
- Once installed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically start and you will see a message stating that you should update the program, and that a scan has never been run on your system. To start a system scan you can click on the Fix Now button.
- If an update is found, you will be prompted to download and install the latest version.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for web-start.org.
- When the scan is complete, make sure that everything is set to Quarantine, and click Apply Actions.
- When removing the files, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot your computer, please allow it to do so.
Remove web-start.org with AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner is a tool that looks for and deletes Adware, Toolbars, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP), and browser Hijackers from your pc. By using AdwCleaner you can very easily get rid of many of these types of applications for a much better user experience on your computer and while browsing the web.
- Download AdwCleaner (Official link and direct-download) :
- Select AdwCleaner.exe with right mouse click and Run as Administrator.
- If User Account Control asks you to allow AdwCleaner.exe to make changes to your computer, press Yes to continue.
- Start scanning your computer for any malicious threats by selecting the Scan button, please wait.
- If AdwCleaner is done, it will display a list of malicious items detected, If you have nothing to uncheck, continue to the removal process and select the Clean button.
- Reboot your computer.
Clean up the various Windows shortcuts that have been hijacked by web-start.org
web-start.org replaces all the shortcut’s from your favorite browser, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with a extra argument behind the executable. By doing this the web-start.org is always your default homepage, you need to remove the extra argument in order to restore your favorite browser to default settings and to use it again as you want it. Please follow this easy instruction to clean your shortcuts.
- Search for your browser shortcut (Desktop, Taskbar or Start Menu Shortcut), then right click on it and select Properties.
- In the Shortcut tab, in the Target field, remove the web-start.org argument. Basically, there should be only the path to browser executable file. Nothing more. These are the default shortcut path that should be in your Target box, if the web-start.org argument is there, then you should remove it.
Remove web-start.org with ZHPCleaner
ZHPCleaner is a program that searches for and deletes Adware, Toolbars, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP), and browser Hijackers from your computer. By using ZHPCleaner you can easily remove many of these types of programs for a better user experience on your computer and while browsing the web.
- If Avast is installed on you computer you have to disable it during the process.
- You can download AdwCleaner utility from the below button :
- Select ZHPCleaner.exe with right mouse click and Run as Administrator.
- Accept the user agreement.
- Click on the Scanner button.
- After the scan has finished, click on the Repair button.
- Reboot your computer.
Reset your browser (if necessary)
If after following the above steps web-start.org is still present on your computer, you can reset your browser by following the instructions below.
- Open Chrome.
- Click on the Chrome menu button on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page, search for Show advanced settings.
- Scroll down once again to the end of the page and click Reset browser settings button.
- Click Reset once more.
- Open Firefox
- At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button.
- Go over to the Help sub-menu, then select Troubleshooting Information.
- Click on the Repair Firefox button and confirm.
- Firefox will automatically restart.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on the wrench incon in the top right corner the select Internet Options.
- Click on the Advanced tab, then click on the Reset button.
- In the Reset Internet Explorer settings section, select the Delete personal settings check box, then click on Reset button.
- When Internet Explorer has completed its task, click on the Close button in the confirmation dialogue box.
Click here to go to our support page.