Even though Trotux.com looks like a proper search engine much like Google or Bing, we can confidently state that this is not the case. This program is classified as a malicious tool, more specifically a browser hijacker. In other words, this means that if your computer has been infected with Trotux, your browser’s homepage will be replaced by this search engine that if used will show many ads disguised as search results.
Trotux’s authors use an unworthy technique by means of using Google to show some of the search results coming from using Trotux.com. This is how they manage to trick many users into believing that they are using a real and legitimate search engine. However they will insert among the results coming from Google, ads posing as results, specially in the first positions of the results page.
The biggest problem with this is that those results are usually not even related to what you were looking for, what is worst is that they tend to be fake security messages telling you about some alleged problem with your computer that can only be fixed by buying some useless software they will quickly offer.
Your computer can take the toll from Trotux’s presence, you’ll notice a sudden decrease on speed. This is due to the fact that this program runs all the time as a background task supported by some Windows’ processes or services that will make sure to reinstall the page every time you’ll try to modify your browser’s settings manually.
How to remove Trotux ?
Remove Trotux with AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner is a tool that searches for and removes Adware, Toolbars, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP), and browser Hijackers from your system. By using AdwCleaner you can very easily remove many of these types of applications for a much better user experience on your pc and while browsing websites.
- Download AdwCleaner (Official link and direct-download) :
- Select AdwCleaner.exe with right mouse click and Run as Administrator.
- If User Account Control asks you to allow AdwCleaner.exe to make changes to your computer, press Yes to continue.
- Start scanning your computer for any malicious threats by selecting the Scan button, please wait.
- If AdwCleaner is done, it will display a list of malicious items detected, If you have nothing to uncheck, continue to the removal process and select the Clean button.
- Reboot your computer.
Remove Trotux with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detects and removes malware like worms, Trojans, rootkits, rogues, spyware, and more. All you have to do is launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and run a scan. If you want even better protection, consider Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and its instant real-time scanner that automatically prevents malware and websites from infecting your PC.
- Download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware :
Premium Version Free Version (without Real-time protection)
- Install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware using the installation wizard.
- Once installed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically start and you will see a message stating that you should update the program, and that a scan has never been run on your system. To start a system scan you can click on the Fix Now button.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now check for updates, and if there are any, you will need to click on the Update Now button.
- Once the program has loaded, select Scan now.
- When the scan is done, you will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware has detected. To remove the malicious programs that Malwarebytes Anti-malware has found, click on the Quarantine All button, and then click on the Apply Now button.
- When removing the files, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot your computer, please allow it to do so.
Remove completly Trotux with Junkware Removal Tool
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) purges your system of PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) like Trotux almost as easily as they find their way into your system. JRT targets adware, toolbars, and other malicious, suspicious, and pernicious system parasites, removing not only the unwanted program but also any traces left behind in your registry and other places where debris accumulates.
- Download Junkware Removal Tool :
Download Junkware Removal Tool
- Shut down your anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall software now to avoid potential conflicts.
- Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click it and select Run as administrator.
- The tool will open and start scanning your system.
- Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
- On completion, a log is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
Reset your browser (if necessary)
If you still see traces of Trotux after following all the steps above you can reset your browser performing this operation:
- Open Chrome.
- Click on the three stripes button in the right top corner.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page, search for Show advanced settings.
- Scroll down once again to the end of the page and click Reset browser settings button.
- Click Reset once more.
- Open Firefox
- Go to the orange Firefox button in the top left.
- Go over to the Help sub-menu, then select Troubleshooting Information.
- Click on the Repair Firefox button and confirm.
- Firefox will automatically restart.
- Download ResetBrowser :
- Download the tool, save it on your desktop and double-click on it.
- Read the disclaimer and press the Ok button.
- Click the Reset Chrome button and wait.
- Once the process is finished, click onOpen Chrome Trotux should now be deleted from Firefox.
Reset default homepage (if necessary)
- Open Google Chrome then go to the three stripes in the right top corner
- Select Settings
- Go to the header: On Startup
- Click on the blue link: Set Pages behind Open a specific page or set of pages
- Remove the actual homepage by clicking the X icon.
- Enter a new homepage of your choice in textbox "Enter Url..."
- Go to the header: Search
- Click on the button: Manage search engines
- Select Google.com from the list, hover over it and click blue button Make Defaults
- Hover over Trotux and click the X to remove it from the list.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and at the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, then select Options
- Click on the General tab.
- Replace the homepage with one of your choice and click on OK.
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click on the gear icon , in the upper right part of your browser, then click again on Internet Options..
- Click on the General tab.
- Replace the homepage with one of your choice, for example: google.com
Click here to go to our support page.