Browser hijackers like searchassist.net never properly warn users of the consequences of having it installed on your computer. That’s why it’s quite a shocking surprise to see searchassist.net all the sudden replacing our default homepage and search engine when we were never asked about it.
searchassist.net is introduced in our computers in a bundle with some other programs. Therefore if it’s already installed we can be pretty sure that many other infections are also present in our systems. We usually find these bundles in P2P networks and download platforms whose sponsorship comes from this kind of adware.
When searchassist.net is installed in our systems, it will instantly modify our web browser’s settings. searchassist.net becomes our default homepage and default search engine. Plus it usually shows ads in its homepage. It’s not uncommon to find it accompanied of other unwanted programs that will surely slow down your system.
If searchassist.net is present in your computer, you’ll probably notice that it shows ads within its search results. We strongly advice you against clicking on any of those ads, because it could expose you to even more serious threats. How is this possible? It’s quite easy actually. Every time you click on an ad you’ll be taken to an unknown website whose content might be malicious. This means that you could be putting your system in danger. You can reduce your risks by avoiding those ads. Don’t be naive, even if searchassist.net uses Google or Yahoo as base, it’s still dangerous.
How to remove searchassist.net ?
Remove searchassist.net with AdwCleaner
The AdwCleaner program will examine your computer and internet browser for searchassist.net, browser extensions and registry keys, that may have been put in your computer without your consent.
- You can download AdwCleaner utility from the below button :
- Before starting AdwCleaner, close all open programs and internet browsers, then double-click on the file AdwCleaner.exe.
- If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run AdwCleaner, please allow it to run.
- When the AdwCleaner program will open, click on the Scan button.
- To remove malicious files that were detected in the previous step, please click on the Clean button.
- Please click on the OK button to allow AdwCleaner reboot your computer.
Remove searchassist.net with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is an important security program for any computer user to have installed on their computer. It is light-weight, fast, and best of all, excellent at removing the latest infections like searchassist.net.
- Download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware :
Premium Version Free Version (without Real-time protection)
- Double-click mbam-setup-consumer.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- Once installed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically start and you will see a message stating that you should update the program, and that a scan has never been run on your system. To start a system scan you can click on the Fix Now button.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now check for updates, and if there are any, you will need to click on the Update Now button.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for searchassist.net.
- When the scan is done, you will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware has detected. To remove the malicious programs that Malwarebytes Anti-malware has found, click on the Quarantine All button, and then click on the Apply Now button.
- Reboot your computer if prompted.
Remove searchassist.net with ZHPCleaner
ZHPCleaner is a program that searches for and deletes Adware, Toolbars, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP), and browser Hijackers from your computer. By using ZHPCleaner you can easily remove many of these types of programs for a better user experience on your computer and while browsing the web.
- If Avast is installed on you computer you have to disable it during the process.
- You can download AdwCleaner utility from the below button :
- Select ZHPCleaner.exe with right mouse click and Run as Administrator.
- Accept the user agreement.
- Click on the Scanner button.
- After the scan has finished, click on the Repair button.
- Reboot your computer.
Remove completly searchassist.net with Junkware Removal Tool
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) purges your system of PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) like searchassist.net almost as easily as they find their way into your system. JRT targets adware, toolbars, and other malicious, suspicious, and pernicious system parasites, removing not only the unwanted program but also any traces left behind in your registry and other places where debris accumulates.
- Download Junkware Removal Tool :
Download Junkware Removal Tool
- Shut down your anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall software now to avoid potential conflicts.
- Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click it and select Run as administrator.
- The tool will open and start scanning your system.
- Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
- On completion, a log is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
Reset your browser (if necessary)
If after following the above steps searchassist.net is still present on your computer, you can reset your browser by following the instructions below.
- Open Chrome.
- Click on the Chrome menu button on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page, search for Show advanced settings.
- Scroll down once again to the end of the page and click Reset browser settings button.
- Click Reset once more.
- Open Firefox
- Go to the orange Firefox button in the top left.
- Go over to the Help sub-menu, then select Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the Repair Firefox button in the upper-right corner of the page.
- Mozilla Firefox will automatically restart.
- Download ResetBrowser :
- Download the tool, save it on your desktop and double-click on it.
- Read the disclaimer and press the Ok button.
- Click the Reset Chrome button and wait.
- Once the process is finished, click onOpen Chrome searchassist.net should now be deleted from Firefox.
Click here to go to our support page.