SearchAmong (SearchAmong.com) is a homepage considered a Browser Hijacker. It changes certain parameters of your web browser such as the homepage, error page, search page, among others with the intention of forcing onto you the use of specific websites that are by no means related to the ones you had chosen before. This infection affects Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer.
SearchAmong inserts into your system after you installed some free software, although not one clear warning was made to you about it. This is why every time you’re about to install a new software you must always customize the install process, is the only way to stop malicious, unwanted software from being installed at the same time.
After installing their website in your system without your clear consent, SearchAmong’s developers will start making a lot of money thanks to you. Among the search results you’ll be forced to see, they will insert a lot of ads that will represent advertising commissions for them. Every single visit made through SearchAmong means money to them.
As you can see, SearchAmong’s results are fake, because they’ll be inserting sponsored links every single time.
If you wish to remove SearchAmong, and recover your own homepage you can use the following free tools.
How to remove SearchAmong ?
Reset your browser (if necessary)
If you still see traces of SearchAmong after following all the steps above you can reset your browser performing this operation:
- Open Chrome.
- Click on the Chrome menu button on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page, search for Show advanced settings.
- Scroll down once again to the end of the page and click Reset browser settings button.
- Click Reset once more.
- Open Firefox
- At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button.
- Go over to the Help sub-menu, then select Troubleshooting Information.
- Click on the Repair Firefox button and confirm.
- Mozilla Firefox will automatically restart.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on the wrench incon in the top right corner the select Internet Options.
- Click on the Advanced tab, then click on the Reset button.
- In the Reset Internet Explorer settings section, select the Delete personal settings check box, then click on Reset button.
- Restart Internet Explorer.
Remove SearchAmong with AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner is a helpful tool developed to delete unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, redirects and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome or Opera. AdwCleaner requires no installation and can be ran in a instant to scan your computer.
- Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop :
- Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool (Windows Vista/7/8 users : right-click and select Run As Administrator).
- Click on the Scan button.
- After the scan has finished, click on the Clean button..
- Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
Remove completly SearchAmong with Junkware Removal Tool
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) purges your system of PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) like SearchAmong almost as easily as they find their way into your system. JRT targets adware, toolbars, and other malicious, suspicious, and pernicious system parasites, removing not only the unwanted program but also any traces left behind in your registry and other places where debris accumulates.
- Download Junkware Removal Tool :
Download Junkware Removal Tool
- Shut down your anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall software now to avoid potential conflicts.
- Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click it and select Run as administrator.
- The tool will open and start scanning your system.
- Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
- On completion, a log is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
Remove SearchAmong with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is an important security program for any computer user to have installed on their computer. It is light-weight, fast, and best of all, excellent at removing the latest infections like SearchAmong.
- Download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware :
Premium Version Free Version (without Real-time protection)
- Double-click mbam-setup-consumer.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- Once installed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically start and you will see a message stating that you should update the program, and that a scan has never been run on your system. To start a system scan you can click on the Fix Now button.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now check for updates, and if there are any, you will need to click on the Update Now button.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for SearchAmong.
- When the scan is done, you will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware has detected. To remove the malicious programs that Malwarebytes Anti-malware has found, click on the Quarantine All button, and then click on the Apply Now button.
- Reboot your computer if prompted.
Reset default homepage (if necessary)
- Open Google Chrome then go to the three stripes in the right top corner
- Select Settings
- Go to the header: On Startup
- Click on the blue link: Set Pages behind Open a specific page or set of pages
- Remove the actual homepage by clicking the X icon.
- Enter a new homepage of your choice in textbox "Enter Url..."
- Go to the header: Search
- Click on the button: Manage search engines
- Select Google.com from the list, hover over it and click blue button Make Defaults
- Hover over SearchAmong and click the X to remove it from the list.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and at the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, then select Options
- Click on the General tab.
- Replace the homepage with one of your choice and click on OK.
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click on the gear icon , in the upper right part of your browser, then click again on Internet Options..
- Click on the General tab.
- Replace the homepage with one of your choice, for example: google.com
Click here to go to our support page.