SafeSearch is at the same time a browser hijacker linked to the address SafeSearch.net that imitates the same visual look as Google, and a toolbar supposedly built to help you know if the website you’re browsing is safe or not. SafeSearch install is offered to users at the same time as they install free software found in some download platforms. By going too fast while installing, a lot of people end up with unwanted programs such as SafeSearch. Here’s a clear example:
We think we’re installing Winzip, and if we go directly to “Accept” as the setup programs asks us to do, we found ourselves with SafeSearch installed in every browser present in our system, although Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome are the most vulnerable to this issue.
Once installed, besides setting its toolbar, SafeSearch configures your browser so SafeSearch.net becomes your homepage, configuring also your computer in such a way that to uninstall both the toolbar and the homepage becomes really difficult.
If you use Internet Explorer, you’ll see how even more difficult it becomes to get rid of the toolbar, because when clicking the little cross we get a message saying that in order to erase this element we must be a certain type of user, even if your user has administrator rights.
We have selected for the following guide, a list of steps your should follow if you wish to get rid of SafeSearch; make sure to execute all the steps even if some seem not to work.
For your information please know that SafeSearch is considered as suspicious by 39 anti-viruses.
How to remove SafeSearch ?
Remove SafeSearch from your browser
- Open Chrome and go to the 3 stripes icon in top right corner.
- Select Settings and on the left side Extensions.
- Remove SafeSearch by clicking the trash can icon.
- Restart Chrome.
- Open Firefox
- Click on the Big Orange Firefox button in top left corner, then select Add-ons
- Remove SafeSearch by clicking the Remove button.
- Restart Firefox
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click on the Gear icon , then click on Manage Addons
- Go to the tabToolbars and Extensions
- Select and disable SafeSearch if you can’t find it or if you can't remove it, go to the next step.
- Restart Internet Explorer
Remove SafeSearch with AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner is a helpful tool made to delete unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, redirects and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome or Opera. AdwCleaner will require no set up and can be ran in a instantaneous to examine your computer.
- Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop :
- Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool (Windows Vista/7/8 users : right-click and select Run As Administrator).
- Click on the Scan button.
- After the scan has finished, click on the Clean button..
- Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
Remove SafeSearch with Junkware Removal Tool
Junkware Removal Tool is a security utility that searches for and removes common adware, toolbars, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) from your computer. A common tactics among freeware publishers is to offer their products for free, but bundle them with PUPs in order to earn revenue. This tool will help you remove these types of programs.
- Download Junkware Removal Tool (Official link and direct-download) :
Download Junkware Removal Tool
- Select JRT.exe with right mouse click and Run as Administrator
- If User Account Control asks you to allow JRT.exe to make changes to your computer, press Yes to continue..
- Close all your browsers, save any work and then press any key to continue.
- When Junkware Removal Tool is done scanning and removing malicious items from your computer a logfile will open.
Remove SafeSearch with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detects and removes malware like worms, Trojans, rootkits, rogues, spyware, and more. All you have to do is launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and run a scan. If you want even better protection, consider Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and its instant real-time scanner that automatically prevents malware and websites from infecting your PC.
- Download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware :
Premium Version Free Version (without Real-time protection)
- Install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware using the installation wizard.
- Once installed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically start and you will see a message stating that you should update the program, and that a scan has never been run on your system. To start a system scan you can click on the Fix Now button.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now check for updates, and if there are any, you will need to click on the Update Now button.
- Once the program has loaded, select Scan now.
- When the scan is done, you will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware has detected. To remove the malicious programs that Malwarebytes Anti-malware has found, click on the Quarantine All button, and then click on the Apply Now button.
- When removing the files, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot your computer, please allow it to do so.
Reset your browser (if necessary)
If you still see traces of SafeSearch after following all the steps above you can reset your browser performing this operation:
- Open Chrome.
- Click on the three stripes button in the right top corner.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page, search for Show advanced settings.
- Scroll down once again to the end of the page and click Reset browser settings button.
- Click Reset once more.
- Open Firefox
- At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button.
- Go over to the Help sub-menu, then select Troubleshooting Information.
- Click on the Repair Firefox button and confirm.
- Firefox will automatically restart.
- Download ResetBrowser :
- Download the tool, save it on your desktop and double-click on it.
- Read the disclaimer and press the Ok button.
- Click the Reset Chrome button and wait.
- Once the process is finished, click onOpen Chrome SafeSearch should now be deleted from Firefox.
Click here to go to our support page.