Behind the domain name cse.google.com we find a customized search engine. CSE stands for Custom Search Engine. A lot of people use Google CSE to create a customized search engine that will be forced upon people with the help of a browser hijacker. Therefore every time you open your web browser you found your homepage being replaced by a search engine that looks a lot like Google but that has been customized and that comes from the following address: https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=xxxxx
cse.google.com is placed as your homepage by someone interested in making you use their customized search engine. This page contains ads (Google does too) the difference is that the search engine creator gets as much as 30% of revenues for every ad you see or click. Now, to make this revenue interesting they need to force their website on thousands of people. That’s why they take the time to create a browser hijacker that will be based on cse.google.com, allowing them to get to as many users as possible. Usually the browser hijacker stays in you browser even if you attempt to remove it manually.
The following guide will help you get rid of all adware that might already be installed in your computer as well as help you replace cse.google.com for a website of your choice.
How to remove cse.google.com ?
Remove cse.google.com with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is an important security program for any computer user to have installed on their computer. It is light-weight, fast, and best of all, excellent at removing the latest infections like cse.google.com.
- Download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware :
Premium Version Free Version (without Real-time protection)
- Double-click mbam-setup-consumer.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- Once installed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically start and you will see a message stating that you should update the program, and that a scan has never been run on your system. To start a system scan you can click on the Fix Now button.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now check for updates, and if there are any, you will need to click on the Update Now button.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for cse.google.com.
- When the scan is done, you will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware has detected. To remove the malicious programs that Malwarebytes Anti-malware has found, click on the Quarantine All button, and then click on the Apply Now button.
- Reboot your computer if prompted.
Remove cse.google.com with ZHPCleaner
ZHPCleaner is a program that searches for and deletes Adware, Toolbars, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP), and browser Hijackers from your computer. By using ZHPCleaner you can easily remove many of these types of programs for a better user experience on your computer and while browsing the web.
- If Avast is installed on you computer you have to disable it during the process.
- You can download AdwCleaner utility from the below button :
- Select ZHPCleaner.exe with right mouse click and Run as Administrator.
- Accept the user agreement.
- Click on the Scanner button.
- After the scan has finished, click on the Repair button.
- Reboot your computer.
Remove cse.google.com with AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner is a program that searches for and removes Adware, Toolbars, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP), and browser Hijackers from your system. If you use AdwCleaner you can quickly get rid of many of these types of programs for a better user experience on your system and while browsing the internet.
- Download AdwCleaner (Official link and direct-download) :
- Select AdwCleaner.exe with right mouse click and Run as Administrator.
- If User Account Control asks you to allow AdwCleaner.exe to make changes to your computer, press Yes to continue.
- Start scanning your computer for any malicious threats by selecting the Scan button, please wait.
- If AdwCleaner is done, it will display a list of malicious items detected, If you have nothing to uncheck, continue to the removal process and select the Clean button.
- Reboot your computer.
Reset your browser (if necessary)
If you still see traces of cse.google.com after following all the steps above you can reset your browser performing this operation:
- Open Chrome.
- Click on the Chrome menu button on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page, search for Show advanced settings.
- Scroll down once again to the end of the page and click Reset browser settings button.
- Click Reset once more.
- Open Firefox
- Go to the orange Firefox button in the top left.
- Click on Help then Troubleshooting information.
- Click on the Repair Firefox button and confirm.
- Mozilla Firefox will automatically restart.
- Download ResetBrowser :
- Download the tool, save it on your desktop and double-click on it.
- Read the disclaimer and press the Ok button.
- Click the Reset Chrome button and wait.
- Once the process is finished, click onOpen Chrome cse.google.com should now be deleted from Firefox.
Reset default homepage (if necessary)
- Open Google Chrome then go to the three stripes in the right top corner
- Select Settings
- Go to the header: On Startup
- Click on the blue link: Set Pages behind Open a specific page or set of pages
- Remove the actual homepage by clicking the X icon.
- Enter a new homepage of your choice in textbox "Enter Url..."
- Go to the header: Search
- Click on the button: Manage search engines
- Select Google.com from the list, hover over it and click blue button Make Defaults
- Hover over cse.google.com and click the X to remove it from the list.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and at the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, then select Options
- Click on the General tab.
- Replace the homepage with one of your choice and click on OK.
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click on the gear icon , in the upper right part of your browser, then click again on Internet Options..
- Click on the General tab.
- Replace the homepage with one of your choice, for example: google.com
Click here to go to our support page.