If every time you open your web browser or try to search something on the web you found yourself inexplicably directed towards 12kotov.ru over and over again, you need no further proof that you have been infected with an adware, or more specifically a browser hijacker.
A browser hijacker is an unwanted program that attaches itself to install processes for free software, pursuing the goal of modifying several of your web browser’s settings without asking for any kind of approval on your behalf. It usually goes after your default homepage and default search engine, but several more settings could be affected as well.
It won’t stop there because if you try to roll back those changes manually, chances are that 12kotov.ru‘s settings will go back every single time. This is thanks to measures taken by the program to make sure it stays in place, these might include services or scheduled tasks on Windows, and removing those call for a more deep technical knowledge.
The good news is that there are several free tools that can efficiently remove 12kotov.ru. Those tools are included in our guide. Be careful and stay away for alleged security blogs that promise to remove 12kotov.ru in a couple of clicks, those are mostly frauds trying to force you to buy a useless program.
You should know that the page 12kotov.ru is detected as a malware by 2 security software.
How to remove 12kotov.ru ?
Remove 12kotov.ru with AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner is a very useful tool developed to eliminate undesired toolbars, browser hijackers, redirects and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome or Opera. AdwCleaner needs no set up and can be ran in a instantaneous to examine your pc.
- Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop :
- Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool (Windows Vista/7/8 users : right-click and select Run As Administrator).
- Click on the Scan button.
- After the scan has finished, click on the Clean button..
- Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
Remove 12kotov.ru with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a light-weight anti-malware program that is excellent at removing the latest detections.
- Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.
Premium Version Free Version (without Real-time protection)
- Install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware using the installation wizard.
- Once installed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically start and you will see a message stating that you should update the program, and that a scan has never been run on your system. To start a system scan you can click on the Fix Now button.
- If an update is found, you will be prompted to download and install the latest version.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for 12kotov.ru.
- When the scan is complete, make sure that everything is set to Quarantine, and click Apply Actions.
- When removing the files, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot your computer, please allow it to do so.
Reset your browser (if necessary)
If you still see traces of 12kotov.ru after following all the steps above you can reset your browser performing this operation:
- Open Chrome.
- Click on the Chrome menu button on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page, search for Show advanced settings.
- Scroll down once again to the end of the page and click Reset browser settings button.
- Click Reset once more.
- Open Firefox
- At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button.
- Click on Help then Troubleshooting information.
- Click the Repair Firefox button in the upper-right corner of the page.
- Firefox will automatically restart.
- Download ResetBrowser :
- Download the tool, save it on your desktop and double-click on it.
- Read the disclaimer and press the Ok button.
- Click the Reset Chrome button and wait.
- Once the process is finished, click onOpen Chrome 12kotov.ru should now be deleted from Firefox.
Reset default homepage (if necessary)
- Open Google Chrome then go to the three stripes in the right top corner
- Select Settings
- Go to the header: On Startup
- Click on the blue link: Set Pages behind Open a specific page or set of pages
- Remove the actual homepage by clicking the X icon.
- Enter a new homepage of your choice in textbox "Enter Url..."
- Go to the header: Search
- Click on the button: Manage search engines
- Select Google.com from the list, hover over it and click blue button Make Defaults
- Hover over 12kotov.ru and click the X to remove it from the list.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and at the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, then select Options
- Click on the General tab.
- Replace the homepage with one of your choice and click on OK.
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click on the gear icon , in the upper right part of your browser, then click again on Internet Options..
- Click on the General tab.
- Replace the homepage with one of your choice, for example: google.com
Click here to go to our support page.